It can be hard to tell, especially because many ads are disguised as games. Good websites will label any ad as such, and will notify users when they are leaving the site and going to an advertisement. Explain to your kids that ads can sometimes install bad things on your computer and that even though some may be fun to play, they are actually trying to get Mom and Dad to buy something. Here are some things that typically identify ads:
—Common Sense Media The opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast.
- The word "ad" or "advertisement"
- Strobe effects, flashing graphics, "shaky" windows
- "Pop-ups" -- a window that appears on the screen suddenly
- A picture of a product they recognize (like a box of cereal)
- Prices or the word "free"
- Contests or the word "win"
- Automatic downloads or the words "download now"
- Adult-oriented material, such as sexually suggestive figures, alcohol, gambling, diet pills