- Transit Coverage: 83.5 percent (13th highest)
- Service Frequency (Minutes): 7.4 (8th lowest)
- Jobs Reachable in 90 Minutes: 39.9 percent (16th highest)
- Walk Score: 66.3 (13th highest)
- Commuters Who Bike: 2.23 percent (2nd highest)
Portland is such a good place for people to live without a car due to both its public transit system and the ease of walking and biking around the city. The metropolitan area is served by TriMet, which in addition to other services offers a Free Rail Zone — a region that includes most of downtown Portland and where light rail and streetcar rides are always free. The city has a number of benefits for bike riders, including designated bike-only areas at traffic signals and free bike lights. It has the second highest rate of commuters who ride bikes to work in the country.
(iStock Photo) More From 24/7 Wall St.: Cities Sunk by Underwater Mortgages Most Valuable Blogs in America Most Expensive Tickets in Sports The opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast.