Check out our list of Hollywood's 25 Highest Grossing Actors of All Time to see if your favorites bring in the big bucks. (Photos: AP)
25. Ian McKellan...Sir Ian McKellan is one of the most respected actors in the world. He is known to many for roles such as Gandalf in the “Lord of the Rings” film trilogy and as Magneto in the “X-Men” films. His films have grossed $2,009.8 billion worldwide.
McKellan has played roles in many film genres, ranging from Shakespearean theatre to science fiction. He is beloved by audiences and continues to act live and on film.
Highest Grossing Film: McKellan’s role as Gandalf helped this installment of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, “Return of the King,” gross $377.0 million. (Photo: AP)
24. Gary OldmanRecently, Gary Oldman is most recognizable as Sirius Black in the “Harry Potter” film series and James Gordon in the most recent Batman film, “The Dark Knight.” However, Oldman has played in some of the most critically acclaimed films of all time. His movies have grossed $2,038.4 billion over the course of his career and he continues to pop up in box office hits. Outside of acting, Oldman is most known for his ability to stay out of the limelight.
Highest Grossing Film: Oldman’s role in “The Dark Knight” proves to be his most successful yet. The film grossed $533.3 million and remains an audience favorite. (Photo: AP)
23. Matt DamonMatt Damon launched his career in 1997 following the success of the film “Good Will Hunting” from a screenplay he co-wrote with friend and actor Ben Affleck. Damon garnered an Academy Award nomination for his lead performance in the film, as well as winning the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. Since then he has appeared in many movies such as “Saving Private Ryan,” the “Oceans 11” films and the “Bourne” films. Damon’s movies have grossed $2,062.2 billion and continue to succeed with audiences.
Highest Grossing Film: His highest grossing individual film is the second installment in the "Bourne" series, “The Bourne Ultimatum,” which grossed $227.5 million. (Photo: AP)
22. Michael Cain...Michael Caine hails from across the pond and is the second man on the list to be knighted by the Queen. He has starred in over 100 films throughout his life and is recognized worldwide for his incredible talent. Caine's movies, including roles in the "Austin Powers" series and “The Dark Knight,” have grossed $228 billion. Caine is a six time Oscar nominee, winning his first Academy Award for the 1986 film “Hannah and Her Sisters,” and his second in 1999 for “The Cider House Rules.”
Highest Grossing Film: Caine played Batman’s Butler, Alfred Pennyworth, in “The Dark Knight.” The film grossed $533.3 million. (Photo: AP)
21. Mel GibsonDespite his recent legal troubles, Mel Gibson remains one of the most successful actors in Hollywood. His films, which range from “Mad Max” and “Lethal Weapon” series, to “Braveheart” and “The Passion of the Christ,” have received critical acclaim from around the Globe. Gibson has shown that he is not only a skilled and bankable actor, bringing in $2,065.6 billion over his career, but a gifted director and producer.
Highest Grossing Film: Gibson was the leading role in M. Night Shaymalan’s thriller “Signs,” grossing $228.0 million. (Photo: AP)
20. Sigourney We...Sigourney Weaver has been called “the Queen of Sci-Fi” for her roles in some of the most well known Science Fiction films in movie history. Her films have grossed $2,072 billion overall. Weaver may be best known for her role as Ellen Ripley in the “Alien” film series, a role for which she was nominated for an Academy Award. Weaver was also nominated in 1988 for “Gorillas in the Mist” and “Working Girl”. Weaver also appeared in "Avatar", a film hailed by many to be the best of 2010. Her latest film, "You Again," hits theraters next Friday, Sept. 24, 2010.
Highest Grossing Film: Weaver appeared in James Cameron’s Academy Award nominated film “Avatar,” which grossed $759.6 million. (Photo: AP)
19. Nicolas CageDespite Cage's recent bout of bad luck at the bank and the box office , one fact remains- his films have grossed $2,096.9 billion worldwide, placing him among the heavy hitters in Hollywood. Cage has appeared in over 60 films, including “Gone in 60 Seconds” and “The Night at the Museum” film series. Cage took home an Academy Award and a Golden Globe for his iconic role as Ben Sanderson in “Leaving Las Vegas.” Cage is currently promoting his 2010 film “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice.“
Highest Grossing Film: Nicolas Cage’s highest grossing film is “National Treasure: Book of Secrets,” grossing $220.0 million. Cage played the leading role in the film. (Photo: AP)
18. Ben StillerThroughout his career, Ben Stiller has written, starred in, directed, and produced over 50 films including “Heavyweights,” “There's Something About Mary,” “Zoolander,” and “Tropic Thunder.” His films have grossed a staggering $2,140.4 billion and continue to strike gold with audiences. Stiller is currently filming the third installment of the “Meet The Parents” film series, “Little Fockers,” due to be released in 2011.
Highest Grossing Film: Stiller starred in “Meet the Fockers,” which grossed $279.3 million.(Photo: AP)
17. Mike MyersMike Myers began his career on television as Wayne Campbell on “Saturday Night Live” and turned his comedic gifts into a multibillion dollar film career. Myer’s films, which include the “Austin Powers” series and the “Shrek” films, have grossed $2,211.0 billion.
Highest Grossing Film: Myer’s voiced the lead character in the animated film “Shrek 2,” grossing $441.2 million. (Photo: AP)
16. Orlando Bloo...Orlando Bloom knows how to land big roles. He has starred as Legolas in the film adaption of J.R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy and as Will Turner in the hugely popular “Pirates of the Caribbean” film series. His films have grossed $2,279.6 billion and continue to hold records at the box office. Bloom is currently expecting his first child with Victoria’s Secret model Miranda Kerr.
Highest Grossing Film: “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest” grossed $423.3 million worldwide. Bloom is not appearing in the most recent installation of the film series. (Photo: AP)
15. Robert DeNir...Robert DeNiro’s films have grossed $2,309.3 billion over the span of his long career. DeNiro has been nominated for a total of six Academy Awards. DeNiro brought home the prize for his role in “Raging Bull” and his iconic role as Vito Corleone in “The Godfather Part II.” DeNiro’s biggest hits also include “Taxi Driver,” “Casino” and “Goodfellas.” DeNiro is currently reprising his role as Jack Byrne in the third installment of the Meet the Parents films, “Little Fockers.”
Highest Grossing Film: “Meet the Fockers” brought in $279.3 million, according to boxofficemojo.com. (Photo: AP)
14. Jim CarreyJim Carrey is Hollywood’s favorite funnyman, starring in fan favorites like “Dumb and Dumber” and “Liar Liar.” Carrey’s films have grossed an amazing $2,337.4 billion. Carrey has also proved that he isn’t a one trick pony, garnering Golden Globe nominations for his performances in 2004’s “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” and 2010’s “I Love You Phillip Morris.”
Highest Grossing Film: His rendition of the Grinch in “How The Grinch Stole Christmas” grossed $260.0 million alone, according to boxofficemojo.com.(Photo: AP)
13. John Travolt...John Travolta is lucky number 13 on the list of highest grossing actors, bringing in a career gross of $2,351.0 billion. Travolta’s career began in television in the 1970s with his role on “Welcome Back Kotter” and has continued on to present day. Travolta has played some of the most iconic characters in film history, including his role as Danny Zuko in “Grease” and the disco dancing Tony Manero in “Saturday Night Fever.” In addition, Travolta has twice received Academy Award nominations for his roles in “Pulp Fiction” and “Saturday Night Fever.” Travolta is currently expecting a son with wife Kelly Preston.
Highest Grossing Film: “Grease,” Travolta’s highest grossing film, made $188.4 million according to boxofficemojo.com. (Photo: AP)
12. Johnny DeppJohnny Depp is known in Hollywood and around the world for his ability to play offbeat characters like Edward Scissorhands and Sweeney Todd, and still succeed with mainstream audiences. Depp’s films have grossed $2,456.0 billion worldwide and the public’s love for Johnny Depp is far from over. He recently wrapped filming on the thriller “The Tourist” alongside Angelina Jolie, and is currently reprising his role as Captain Jack Sparrow and filming “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.”
Highest Grossing Film: "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest," which grossed $423.3 million, according to boxofficemojo.com. (Photo: AP)
11. Julia Robert...Julia Roberts is the second woman on the list, grossing $2,497.4 billion over her entire film career. She captured public praise for her role as a loveable prostitute alongside Richard Gere in “Pretty Woman", and a string of successful romantic comedies and dramatic roles have placed her among the most profitable women in Hollywood. Roberts recently starred in “Eat Pray Love,” showing that she is still one of Hollywood’s leading ladies.
Highest Grossing Film: Her highest grossing film is the casino heist hit “Ocean’s 11” which brought in $183.4 million according to boxofficemojo.com. (Photo: AP)
10. Will SmithRounding out the top ten is the former Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Will Smith. A long way from the streets of West Philadelphia, Smith has grown to be one of the biggest movie stars of our time. His films, including “Bad Boys,” “Men in Black” and “Hancock,” have grossed $2,520.9 billion worldwide. Smith's work has been recognized as he was nominated for two Academy Awards for “The Pursuit of Happyness” and “Ali.” Future film projects for Smith include a third installment in the “Men In Black” series, “Men In Black III.” He has also had enormous success as a recording artist, though he has not released an album in recent years.
Highest Grossing Film: His highest grossing film to date is the action packed "Independence Day," a film that grossed $306.2 million according to boxofficemojo.com. (Photo: AP)
9. Cameron DiazCameron Diaz is the last of the three ladies to appear on this list. Diaz’s career has been filled with critically acclaimed films which have grossed $2,565.7 billion. Diaz rose to fame in the 1990s with comedic roles in “The Mask,” “My Best Friend’s Wedding” and “There’s Something About Mary.” She has also been praised for dramatic roles in “Being John Malkovich” and “Vanilla Sky.” Diaz is slated to appear as Lenore Case in the 2011 superhero action film, “The Green Hornet.”
Highest Grossing Film: Her highest grossing film thus far is “Shrek 2,” which according to boxofficemojo.com, grossed $441.2 million. (Photo: AP)
8. Bruce WillisBruce Willis began his television and film career in the 1980s and has continued to lead the pack in action, comedy and dramatic films. His films have grossed $2,638.3 billion and continue to do well at the box office. Willis is most known for his as John McLane in the “Die Hard” series, a role which has cemented his position as the head honcho of action flicks. Willis has a busy 2010, appearing in “The Expendables,” “Cop Out” and the yet to be released “Red” with the next actor on the list.
Highest Grossing Film: The Sixth Sense, a film headlined by Willis that grossed $293.5 million worldwide, according to boxofficemojo.com (Photo: AP)
7. Morgan Freema...Morgan Freeman is hailed among the world’s greatest actors, so it is not a surprise that he is number seven on the list. Freeman's movies have grossed $2,790.2 billion and his credentials speak for themself. He has received Academy Award nominations for his performances in “Street Smart,” “Driving Miss Daisy,” “The Shawshank Redemption” and most recently “Invictus.” Freeman took home the prize in 2005 for his role alongside Hillary Swank in “Million Dollar Baby.” In 2010 Freeman will appear in the film “Red.”
Highest Grossing Film: “The Dark Knight” which, according to boxofficemojo.com, grossed in $533.3 million and seven Academy Award nominations. (Photo: AP)
6. Samuel L. Jac...Samuel L. Jackson, the sixth highest grossing actor on the list, has appeared in over 100 films during his career, pulling in $2,895.90 billion. Jackson’s credits range from minor roles in “Kill Bill 2” and the “Iron Man” films, to headlining roles in “Pulp Fiction,” “Black Snake Moan” and “Snakes on a Plane.” Jackson is expected to appear in several films in 2010, including reprising his role as Nick Fury in “Captain America: The First Avenger.“
Highest Grossing Film: “Revenge of the Sith”, an installment in the "Star Wars" prequel trilogy, which grossed $380.3 million, according to boxofficemojo.com.
5. Tom CruiseDespite Tom Cruises’ couch-jumping antics, he remains a major force in Hollywood. Cruise’s films have grossed $2,871.7 billion throughout the past few decades. He has headlined some of the greatest hits in the film industry over the past 30 years, including his breakthrough role in “Risky Business” and his critically acclaimed performance in “Jerry Maguire.” Cruise is expected to reprise his role in the a new installment of his hit action series “Mission: Impossible IV” in 2010.
Highest Grossing Film: “War of the Worlds,” which grossed $234.30 million, according to boxofficemojo.com. (Photo: AP)
4. Robin William...Robin Williams may have started his career in television as alien Mork on “Mork & Mindy,” but his impact on the film world is undeniable. William’s films have grossed $2,962.6 billion worldwide. He is not only known for his comedic flair, shining in classic comedies like “Birdcage,” but is also recognized as one of the great dramatic actors in the business, winning the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in “Good Will Hunting” in 1997.
Highest Grossing Film: “Night at the Museum”, $250.9 million according to boxofficemojo.com. (Photo: AP)
3. Harrison FordThird on the list, grossing $3,424.6 billion throughout his film career, is Harrison Ford. Ford is most famous for playing the iconic Han Solo in the original "Star Wars" trilogy and continues to wow audiences with his talent. Ford has played the title role in several box office hits, including the "Indiana Jones" series and the cult classic "Blade Runner."
Highest Grossing Film: Ford’s highest grossing film, "Star Wars," made $461.0 million according to boxofficemojo.com. (Photo: AP)
2. Eddie MurphyComedian, actor, voice actor, film director, producer and singer… Eddie Murphy does it all. The Academy Award nominee comes in second on the list with an astounding movie career gross of $3,713.6 billion. Murphy has starred in some of comedy’s greatest hits, including “Beverly Hills Cop” and “The Nutty Professor.” In addition to garnering laughs from audiences, Murphy has lent his voice to animated film characters playing characters Mushu the dragon in Disney’s “Mulan” and Donkey in the “Shrek” film series.
Highest Grossing Film: Eddie Murphy as the animated Donkey in “Shrek 2” grossed $441.2 million, according to boxofficemojo.com. (Photo: AP)
1. Tom HanksComing in at number one on the list is Academy Award nominee and winner Tom Hanks. Hanks’ films have grossed a monumental $3.971.6 billion throughout his acting career. Renowned for roles in classics including “Forrest Gump,” “Apollo 13,” and “Castaway,“ the versatile Hanks is also a successful producer and director.
Highest Grossing Film: Hanks pulled in $409.9 million voicing the beloved toy cowboy Woody in “Toy Story 3,” according to boxofficemojo.com. (Photo: AP)