It’s down to the last 8 contestants on “The Voice“, and the competition is heating up. Last elimination proved that no one is safe as a coach favorite (Bria Kelly) and the underdog (Tess Boyer) went home. Coach Adam Levine nailed this year’s crop of singers perfectly while addressing Tess: “You’re an amazing singer and there is nobody that is left, currently, who isn’t.”
Monday night’s performances are key in deciding who will move on to the semifinals. Adam Levine and Blake Shelton both have 3 artists left, and the eliminations are bound to hurt their teams soon. It’s tough to predict who will go home next and who will stay as 8 very talented singers fight for the victor’s crown, but I have decided to at least try.
8. Kat Perkins (Team Adam) This rocker chick can deliver a high octane performance, but can she bounce back after being in the bottom 3 last week? Adam promised that she would, but I have my doubts. Kat is a great singer, but she isn’t getting the votes. She really needs to shine this week if she has any hope of getting to the next round.
7. Jake Worthington (Team Blake) Jake is one of my favorite artists on the show. He’s a stellar country music singer, down to earth and is quick with words. Even though he pulls at the heart strings with his performances, I just don’t think he’s connecting with the audience. Hopefully he finds a way to open up this week. If not, he might be going home to Texas.
6. Delvin Choice (Team Adam) The comeback kid has done well this season and is proving the coaches every week why they should have picked him last season. His funky style, amazing hair and killer vocals really give him an edge. The only problem he has is in his song choice. It would be nice to see him take a popular hit from today and put his spin on it. Delvin went with “Bright Lights” last week, which is a great song, but I would love to see him take a song from 2014 and bring his passion to it. This singer was shining earlier on in the battle rounds, but it feels like he’s faded out the past couple of weeks.
5. Audra McLaughlin (Team Blake) Blake’s country girl hits all the right notes, but can she really make it to the finals? She seems to have a strong fan base from country fans, but I’m not sure if she has the staying power in the competition, but who knows, I could be wrong. Country singers do well on the show proven by former winners Danielle Bradbury and Cassadee Pope, and Audra might sneak in to the finals. It’s too soon to say if she will win, but maybe she’ll surprise me this week. I definitely think Audra’s the dark horse in the competition.
4. Kristen Merlin (Team Shakira) Shakira’s last artist and the only country singer not on Blake’s team has been killing it on the show. Her songs have landed very high on the iTunes charts hitting #16 this past week and # 32 the week before. The audience seems to really connect to her story of being judged on your looks, not your voice. She only hit # 4 on the list for me because of the tough competition this year, but it wouldn’t surprise me if she ended up in the top 3.
3. Josh Kaufman (Team Usher) Usher’s last contestant really needs to step up this week. He wowed us two weeks ago, but last week’s performance of “This Is It” seemed dated. He does better with voters and on iTunes when he chooses newer songs. Both of Usher’s performers had bad song choices last week. Bria Kelly’s choice ultimately sent her home. Josh is a talented singer and can go very far in this competition with the right performance. Hopefully Usher can guide him in the right direction, or Josh might be heading home soon.
2. Sisaundra Lewis (Team Blake) There is no denying Sisaundra’ powerful vocals. That woman can sing! She is established in the music business having been Celine Dion’s vocal director and a writer, but will America choose her over a YouTube sensation? I think Sisaundra needs to connect with the younger listeners and mix it up. I love hearing her sing the classics done by Elton John and Aretha Franklin, but I would love to hear her do something from the past year. That type of song would give voters the chance to see what kind of artist Sisaundra will be in the future and what kind of album she could release.
1. Christina Grimme (Team Adam) This tiny singer improves every week and literally shocked me with her rendition of Drake’s song “Hold On, We’re Going Home.” She blew up on Twitter Tuesday night, and if she keeps hitting all the right notes, you are looking at the next winner. I loved seeing Christina at the piano and think it’s a good idea to connect her to that kind of performance which made her a YouTube star. Will anyone be able to stop her? So far it doesn’t seem like it, but a slip up on Christina’s part or a break through by another artist could mess that all up.
So get ready for a night of stellar performances and hilarious antics by the judges (Adam did promise to get back at Blake Shelton for sharing his phone number on Twitter).
Got some thoughts on my rankings? Let me know on Twitter @slheverly