Ruben Denies ‘Conspiracy’ To Bring Him Back on ‘Biggest Loser’

by | December 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM | The Biggest Loser, TV News

Ruben Studdard on "The Biggest Loser" (Photo: NBC)

Former “American Idol” winner Ruben Studdard says there was no “conspiracy” behind his return to “The Biggest Loser” last month after being eliminated a week earlier.

The crash-dieting crooner — who was eliminated for a second time in last week’s episode — was addressing lingering doubts voiced by some that the producers of “The Biggest Loser” contrived a scenario for bringing Ruben back on the show because he had proven to be popular with viewers and was a boon to the show’s ratings.

“I don’t think there was at all any conspiracy to bring me back,” Studdard is quoted as saying here, in this story on the People magazine Web site. “My only concern was my health.”

The “incident” that brought Ruben back that first time last month took place on the show Nov. 5, the day Studdard was first eliminated. A week later, on the episode that aired Nov. 12, it was revealed that trainer Jillian Michaels plied her team members with caffeine supplements a week earlier, in violation of the show’s rules.

Previously: Jillian Michaels Rule Violation Forces ‘Biggest Loser’ Do-Over

As a result, the producers invalidated Studdard’s elimination, and basically disqualified all the results from the Nov. 5 show. Ever since then, Ruben was back on the show, until his elimination Dec. 3.

Watch the latest episode of “The Biggest Loser”:

Ruben lost a lot of weight on “The Biggest Loser” — going from 462 lbs. when he arrived to 349 lbs. at the time of his second elimination.

“I celebrate every pound I lose,” Ruben said.