Let the adorkableness begin!
“New Girl” returns for a third season Sept. 17 at 9/8c on Fox. When viewers last left the quirky roommates, Winston (Lamorne Morris) and Schmidt (Max Greenfield) worked to stop Cece’s (Hannah Simone) wedding and got a big assist from Taylor Swift. Elizabeth (Merritt Wever) and CeCe told Schmidt (Max Greenfield) he had to choose between them. Faced with that choice, Schmidt took off running. But the big news was that Jess (Zooey Deschanel) and Nick (Jake Johnson) finally decided to give their relationship a real go and took off for parts unknown.
Here’s what you need to know about the new season of “New Girl.”
1. The action picks up the day after last season’s finale. Jess and Nick have headed to Mexico but Schmidt and Winston soon follow. “We pick up with as much craziness as we left off with,” Morris told xfinityTV. “Schmidt and Winston are battling each other. When Nick isn’t there, they don’t mesh as well as they should. Nick is the link between the two weirdoes.” Schmidt is still trying to decide between CeCe and Elizabeth. “It gets resolved in a Schmidt way. That’s all I can say,” Morris said. But don’t expect Jess and Nick to live happily ever after. “Last season, they pulled Nick and Jess together. This season, they can pull them apart, they can twist them around, they can juggle them.” Deschanel recently told Vulture.
2. Coach is coming back. Dedicated fans will remember that Damon Wayans, Jr. played Coach, the original fourth roommate, in the series pilot. But when Wayans’ series “Happy Endings” unexpectedly got picked up for a second season and he couldn’t do the show, Morris was cast as Winston. Now that “Happy Endings” is no more (sniff), Wayans will return to the loft. “They’re going to do a lot of explain our relationship – what happened, why he left,” Morris said. “Some of the back story is we use to be old teammates. It’s going to be great because people know of him already.” Johnson, who spent the summer shooting the movie “Let’s Be Cops” with Wayans, is excited to welcome his former co-star back into the fold. “I think he’s going to bring a ton of energy to the show, and he’s going to put a wrinkle in all the dynamics,” Johnson recently told BuzzSugar.
3. Jess has new co-workers. Jess will begin teaching at a new school this year where she’ll run into two “mean girl” teachers played by Angela Kinsey (“The Office”) and Dreama Walker (“Don’t Trust the B—– in Apartment 23.”). Curtis Armstrong will return as the principal of Jess’ new school and even Emily Ratsjkowski from the “Blurred Lines” video will make a cameo. “It’s a play on what she does in the Robin Thicke video. It’s really funny,” Morris said.
4. The show will air after the Super Bowl next year. The gang landed the coveted time slot post one of the biggest TV events of the year. “Hopefully it’s a very manly episode so the guys dedicated to the Super Bowl are like, ‘Okay I can watch this show,’” Morris said. He envisions lots of explosions and Julius Pepperwood (Nick’s alter ego) solving crimes. While it’s still too early to know what the episode might entail, Morris says NFL stars have approached him telling him how much they love the show so perhaps even a few football player will make cameos.
5. The show will live up to the first half of its title– new cat, new disease, new sister. The roommates will welcome a feline roommate into the loft. The reason for Winston’s quirkiness will be revealed. “My character has a very weird disease of some sort which explains some of his craziness,” Morris said. And towards the second half of the season, viewers will meet Jess’ sister (although there’s currently no truth to the rumor that she’ll be played by Deschanel’s real-life sister Emily Deschanel).
“New Girl” premieres on Tuesday, Sept. 17 at 9/8c on FOX.