Bravo celebrated a milestone Monday night: the 100th episode of “The Real Housewives of Orange County” — the original rich b*tches that started it all — and helped turn the “Real Housewives” into a phenomenon, and a franchise.
The network aired a two-hour special dedicated to the “original” “Housewives” series, featuring appearances by former cast members, including Jo de la Rosa, Jeana Keough, Lauri Peterson, Tammy Knickerbocker and Lynne Curtain; along with current cast members Vicki Gunvalson, Tamra Barney, Gretchen Rossi, Alexis Bellino, Heather Dubrow and Lydia McLaughlin, and, of course, “Housewife” hopper Slade Smiley (who’s been linked to three OC “Housewives” now). Also on hand were the now grown-up kids who were featured more heavily on the show in the earlier years, or more specifically, the spoiled-rotten antics of the teens being raised in “the OC’s wealthiest and most exclusive community.”
The cast offered up never-before-revealed stories from the show’s eight seasons, behind-the-scenes-tidbits, their wacky impressions of each other and discussed how being on the show has impacted their lives and their families.
Of course, they also revisited memorable moments from the show, such as the epic screaming matches, the ladies’ penchant for theme parties, the OC’s best-worst break-ups, their love-hate relationships with each other and other assorted riches-to-rags stories.
Here are our 5 Favorite Moments from the “RHOOC” 100th Episode Special:
1. HOW IT ALL BEGAN: From awkward audition tapes to low-budget wardrobes, see what the show was like for the first batch of “Real Housewives.”
2. SELLING YOUR SOUL: Vicki Gunvalson admits starring on a reality show is like making a deal with the Devil.
3. DUMPED ON-CAMERA: While the “reality TV curse” on marriages is no joke, the O.C. wives have the worst divorce rate out of the entire “Real Housewives” franchise, and several of the couples’ collapses happened on-camera. But perhaps our favorite break-up moment came before the couple said “I Do,” when Slade dumped an unsuspecting Jo on the therapist’s couch during Season 1. Watch the low break-up blow below.
4. GIRL FIGHT! They may not seem as tough as the Jersey wives or as cutthroat as the New York wives or as just-plain bananas as the Atlanta wives, but the blonde brawlers of the O.C. created the mold for the “Housewives’s” epic meltdowns. One of the first wine-tossers Tamra Barney discusses the show’s smackdowns:
5. CHEERS! Booze + Housewives = Drama. Because the “Housewives” do
whining wining and dining the best. Oh, the joys of alcohol:
“The Real Housewives of Orange County” airs Mondays at 8/7c on Bravo.