UPDATED 2: Two of Bravo’s “Real Housewives of New York City” have yet to sign their new contracts, and might not return to the show, according to a new report here on TheWrap.com. The two are Aviva Drescher and original cast member LuAnn De Lesseps. They’re the lone holdouts out of the show’s six cast members; the other four signed their contracts, apparently agreeing to Bravo’s terms, over the weekend. Bravo then declared that the show would go on, but it may go on without Aviva and LuAnn. Stay tuned.
UPDATED 1: “The Real Housewives of New York City” lives! Well, whether this news rates an exclamation point or not depends on whether you are among the multitudes who love Bravo’s “Real Housewives” shows.
If you are, it will come as a great relief to learn that all of the New York “Housewives” have agreed to their new contracts, according to Deadline.com here.
The contract signings, which apparently occurred over the weekend, ends a standoff that had Bravo threatening to shut down the show completely if the women didn’t sign their new contracts. Details of the agreements were “sketchy,” Deadline said.
PREVIOUSLY: Bravo is threatening to cancel “The Real Housewives of New York City” if the show’s cast members don’t agree to new contracts as soon as today (Friday), according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The story — here — says the show’s cast members have been holding out for higher salaries and better perks, delaying the start of production.
To break the logjam, Bravo has taken the extreme step of issuing an ultimatum, THR reports: Sign your contracts today (Friday, May 10) or Bravo will cancel the show for good.
All six of the show’s cast members — LuAnn de Lesseps, Sonja Morgan, Ramona Singer, Aviva Drescher, Carole Radziwill and Heather Thomson — are reportedly standing together in the contract standoff, digging in their stiletto heels in their pursuit of better deals to start the show’s sixth season.
The scheduled start of production has apparently already been delayed by two days, costing Bravo money in lost time.
According to another story on the contract impass — here, in the New York Post — the negotiations have broken down over improved expense-reimbursements demanded by the cast members who say they want Bravo to foot the bill for certain expenses they have been paying themselves — particularly “hair and makeup” costs that are essential to the show.
“The Real Housewives of New York City” is the second-oldest of the Bravo “Real Housewives” shows, premiering in 2008. The first “Real Housewives” series was “The Real Housewives of Orange County.”
Will “The Real Housewives of New York City” continue or be cancelled? We hope to have the answer later in the day on Friday. Stay tuned.