A game that went down to the final seconds may have distracted us from the ads, but not for long. With more hype then ever entering the big game and featuring the likes of supermodels (Bar Refaeli and Kate Upton), funny actors (Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler) and lots of animals, here are the best of the best… at least according to the XfinityTV crew.
With prices this year reportedly reaching $4 million for a 30-second commercial, brands went all out to make the most of their advertising bucks. Did it work? Will one of the commercials become an instant classic the way Mean Joe Green, the Budweiser frogs and Apple once did?
Anyway, you can watch all of the big game’s commercials here.
1) Ah, tradition! The Budweiser Clydesdales made their annual appearance on the Super Bowl broadcast, this time featuring a foal who grows up to become one of the iconic mascots of the beverage but doesn’t forget the bond he has with his trainer. Call us sappy (what are touching commercials even doing in the Super Bowl?), but this ad was a winner right out of the gate.
By the way, here’s a fun fact to impress your fellow beer aficionados, this year marked the 23rd Super Bowl spot for the Clydesdale’s since first appearing in the Super Bowl in 1986.
2) Amy Poehler has been on a tear lately. First the talented “Parks & Recreation” actress co-hosts the Golden Globes, now she anchors a Super Bowl commercial for Best Buy. The ad finds Poehler visiting a Best Buy store loaded with a bevy of questions. Are we in the cloud? Is LTE contagious? Which one is touchy-feely?
3) One of the longer commercials we saw during the Super Bowl for the Dodge Ram Trucks. The ad ran two-minutes long and went for emotion rather than comedy or star power to prove its point. Featuring the voice of late conservative radio broadcaster Paul Harvey, the spot, called “Farmer,” pays homage to the men and women who feed the country.
4) Pretty much any product that features the Rolling Stones’ classic “Sympathy for the Devil” is going to grab our attention. But throw in Willem DaFoe as Satan and Kate Upton and you’ve got the recipe for awesomeness. The commercial features DaFoe looking to grab the soul of an impressionable young man in exchange for Mercedes’ new CLA-Class – and all the comes with it.
5) With a nod to some of the Super Bowl’s most memorable commercials, Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd pitch Samsung on “The Next Big Thing.” Talking babies, crowd sourcing, and Asian rappers all get discussed before LeBron James makes a cameo. Rogen and Rudd have a chemistry that now plays well for both big screen movies as well as commercials.
6) We hope that one day we’re as cool as the seniors who escape from the old folks home to hit the club, get a tattoo, dodge the police and end the evening with a visit to Taco Bell. What’s not to like?
7) We never thought a commercial for milk would ever land on this list but a healthy dash of The Rock, combined with a splash of danger and a pinch of comedy makes for a memorable sell. Bank robbers? Check. Lions? Check. Aliens? Of course. Here’s the Rock in “Morning Run.”
8) Dave works in a stress-filled office. So when he decides to go to work with a Jamaican accent the Minnesotan (“the land of 10 tau-sand lakes!”) immediately makes the office a better place. Somehow this has something to do with driving a Volkswagen. Here’s the VW ad “Get Happy.”
Biggest Gross Out: We never thought Bar Refaeli and gross would ever be put int he same sentence, but her GoDaddy.com commercial delivered WAY too much detail. Extreme close-ups of her swapping spit with a nerdy tech guy with prolonged sounds of sucking made this a rough outing. Click here to watch the spot.
Sexiest Spot: Kate Upton. Car Wash. Possibly a Mercedes, but we were distracted. A simple formula but an effective one. Here’s the clip.
Oddest Pairing: “30 Rock’s” Tracy Morgan plugging the benefits of a sports drink. Not a bad commercial, but an unexpected celebrity endorser for Mio. Click here to watch the video.
15 Minutes Award: You gotta hand it to Psy. The rapper lasts longer than the Energizer Bunny and he keeps his fame alive with a Super Bowl commercial for Wonderful Pistachios. Check it out.