‘Survivor: One World’ Recap – Align in the Sand

by | April 11, 2012 at 8:34 PM | General, RealityTV, Survivor, TV News

'Survivor: One World' (CBS)

Last Week: Kim misled Troyzan with a tall tale, Tarzan misdiagnosed Chelsea reason for disliking him, and Michael’s misplaced trust sent him packing…

39 Days, 18 People, 1 “Survivor” Blog

Let’s see where the tribe currently stands…

The Tikiano Tribe (wearing black)
Alicia -  25, Special Ed Teacher
Chelsea – 26, Medical Sales
Christina – 29, Career Consultant
Kat – 22, Timeshare Rep
Kim – 29, Bridal Shop Owner
Jay – 25, Model
Leif – 27, Phlebotomist
Sabrina – 33, High School Teacher
Tarzan – 64, Plastic Surgeon
Troyzan – 50, Swimsuit Photographer

Set Your DVR to Record “Survivor: One World”

We kick this deal off with a beautiful sunrise at Tikiano beach. Jay starts the day off by telling everyone that he had a dream that he was shot. Foreshadow much?

Later on, Tarzan tells Troyzan that the women are looking to eliminate the men. That’s gotta be bad news when Tarzan is the voice of reason.

Troyzan says they could turn the numbers around if they just had the hidden immunity idol. I’ve got to say, I like Troyzan using the rarely-seen strategy of keeping his idol possession a secret.

Tree mail arrives in the form of a chalkboard, a pole, and other goodies. They lug all the gear back to camp and we learn that it’s time for another do-it-yourself reward challenge.

Reward Challenge: The players will divide themselves into two teams of five. They’ll then take turns throwing bolos at numbered stakes on a pole. The team with the most points wins a boat ride to a secluded island. While there, they’ll enjoy a barbecue. No word on if delicious 7Up will be served.

The players pull rocks to decide which team they’re on. Troyzan, Kat, Alicia, Jay, and Tarzan are one team, while Christina, Sabrina, Chelsea, Leif, and Kim are on the other.

Troyzan decides that he’ll be Faux Probst and calls the action. Hmm…if I were Troyzan I wouldn’t quit my day job. Oh wait, his day job is taking photographs for swimsuit magazines. I wouldn’t quit that day job for anything.

Round 1: Jay and Kim both fail to score.

Round 2: Kat scores two while Leif comes up empty.

Round 3: Troyzan and Chelsea both miss.

Round 4: Tarzan hits a four while Christina hits a one.

Round 5: Alicia and Sabrina both come up short.

The final score is six to one. Troyzan, Kat, Alicia, Jay, and Tarzan win reward.

The barbecue consists of rum, coconut, and all of the seafood in the world. Once they’re done eating, Jay and Kat discuss a little bit of strategy. Jay is still very concerned that the women are going to start axing the guys one by one. Yeah, you keep saying that, but you voted off Michael.

Back at camp; Kim, Kat, Chelsea, and Alicia are going over the pecking order. Apparently Jay or Troyzan is next on the chopping block depending on who wins immunity. Chelsea doesn’t love this plan as she’s given her word to both of those guys. Yeah, she’d better be careful, nobody’s ever lied on “Survivor” before.

Alicia thinks Chelsea should suck it up and get with the plan. Sabrina agrees with her. Uh oh…

Jay wants Alicia to go home next as a way for the women to prove that they aren’t ganging up on them. He takes this plan to Kat. When he asks for confirmation, she says “What am I going to say, no?” Hmm…but she didn’t say, “Yes.” I’m starting to like me some Kat.

The rest of the women agree to Jay’s plan, but Kim later tells Alicia that they’re going to pretend to vote for her.

Is there still a guy named Leif on this show?

Immunity Challenge Time: Players will stand on a perch with an arm in the air. Tied to their wrist is a rope that is connected to a vat of colored water. If they move too much, their vat will drop their water on them and they’ll be eliminated. Last person standing wins immunity.

The challenge starts off and Tarzan immediately pulls a Crystal Cox and falls. He’s followed by Christina.

Probst brings out some cookies to tempt the players. Sabrina drops out.

Next up, J-Pro brings out some cupcakes. Kim and Kat call it quits.

Alicia offers to drop down to help Chelsea win. Chelsea thinks she just wants something to eat.

Jeff brings out another plate. Alicia says she doesn’t care what it is, she wants it. To prove her point, she steps down.

(Please be sea water. Please be sea water.)

Unfortunately, it’s a bowl full of candy.

Before the next food item can be brought out, Troyzan loses his balance and is eliminated.

Some chicken wings and beer are up for grabs next. Jay decides to take Probst up on the offer.

Chelsea tries to convince Leif that winning immunity will make him seem like a threat. He doesn’t buy it.

However, he does buy the burgers that Probst brings out. Chelsea wins immunity.

Quick Aside: Leif double checked with Chelsea to make sure that dropping out would make him seem like less of a threat. So much bad strategy this season.

Back at camp, Kim makes the call that they should split their votes between Troyzan and Jay. The concern is that Troyzan might have an idol.

Kim does her best to make Troyzan feel safe, but the lady doth protest too much, and he doesn’t buy it.

Blam! How many “Survivor” recaps quote Shakespeare? Classes up the joint a bit.

Troyzan does some solid last-minute scrambling, trying to get Christina, Tarzan, and Jay on his side.

Jay tells Kim that they should vote for Alicia to flush out Troyzan’s idol. You know, they could vote for Jay and flush out the idol too…just saying.

That night at Tribal Council, Troyzan admits that he thinks there’s still a men vs. women dynamic.

Tarzan thinks the women are a lot smarter than the guys. Gordon thinks that’s an understatement.

Kim, Jay, and Troyzan think they’re in danger.

Troyzan thinks it’s shady that everyone applauded when he was eliminated from the immunity challenge.

Alicia thinks the men might have an immunity idol because they’re wearing shorts with pockets. Interesting observation.

Voting Time: Jay votes for Alicia, Troyzan votes for Kim, Kat votes for Troyzan (but she calls him “Monkey Man”), and the rest of the votes aren’t shown.

Probsty tallies the votes, then asks if anyone would like to play an immunity idol. Troyzan takes him up on this offer. In doing so, he says he’s not going to go down as a dumb player who left the game with an idol in their pocket. In your face, James Clement.

Two votes for Troyzan, one vote for Kim, one vote for Jay, one vote for Alicia, one vote for Jay, one vote for Alicia, one vote for Jay, and the ninth person to leave “Survivor: One World” is…Jay.

Verdict: The show picked up a bit this week with some interesting strategy. However, I wish it seemed like people other than Kim, Troyzan, and Sabrina were playing this game.

Who’s Going to Win: I still think we’re going to see a Kim/Sabrina/Chelsea final three. I also think we might have a jury that appreciates gameplay. If that’s the case, Kim could take it.

Power Rankings Update: Blam! In your face, inanimate object! The coffee mug I pulled names from had Jay in spot seven while I had him in spot ten. Thus providing my team with its first win this season. The current score is now Team Salani 72, Team Manono 52.

Any Questions? Drop me a line on Twitter: @gordonholmes