New On DVD This Week: One Tree Hill, A Streetcar Named Desire, Laverne & Shirley

by | April 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM | General

'One Tree Hill' (Warner Bros. Home Entertainment)

One Tree Hill

Fans of ‘One Tree Hill‘ will have a chance to wrap up nine years of excitement, romance, drama and laughter with the release of the show’s ninth and final season on DVD. Titled One Tree Hill: The Complete Ninth and Final Season, this collection will feature all 13 episodes from Season Nine, plus over two hours of never-before-seen bonus material. The final season of One Tree Hill welcomes new hopes, challenges and dangers. Now parents of twin boys, Brooke and Julian are excited for the future. But while Brooke works on rekindling an old relationship, will Julian be able to juggle the demands of fatherhood as well as a new business venture? Though Clay and Quinn came through their past struggles stronger than ever, a different kind of demon now threatens their relationship. On “Mouth and Millie in the Morning,” our favorite talk show hosts are excited to report Tree Hill’s latest, only this time there is an elephant in the room. And after welcoming baby Lydia, will Nathan and Haley be able to keep their family intact when they are faced with their greatest threat yet, especially when Dan Scott returns? Here we go again, into the challenges that come with the quest for happiness, in a place called Tree Hill. Buy the Season 9 DVD right here.

A Streetcar Named Desire

A Streetcar Named Desire‘ — the film classic starring Marlon Brando and Oscar winners Vivien Leigh, Kim Hunter and Karl Malden and directed by Elia Kazan — is now available as A Streetcar Named Desire Blu-ray Book as Warner Home Video commemorates the 60th anniversary of playwright Tennessee Williams’ masterwork. ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ was nominated for 12 Academy Awards and won four, including three for acting. This edition of the film is A Streetcar Named Desire: The Original Restored Version, the motion picture moviegoers would have seen had not censorship by the Legion of Decency occurred at the last minute. It features three minutes of footage thought to be lost until its rediscovery in the early 1990s. The new footage underscores, among other things, the sexual tension between Blanche DuBois (Vivienne Leigh) and Stanley Kowalski (Marlon Brando), and Stella Kowalski’s (Kim Hunter) passion for her husband. The Blu-ray Book contains 40-pages filled with dazzling photos, film history trivia and more. The set, with bonus features including five documentaries, and a commentary, will be available April 10. Buy the Blu-ray book right here.

Laverne & Shirley

Everyone’s favorite working girls are back with the DVD release of ‘Laverne & Shirley‘ the Fifth Season. Enjoy all of the hilarious moments between bright-eyed, naïve and demure Shirley Feeney (Cindy Williams) and brassy, tough-talking, street smart Laverne De Fazio (Penny Marshall) in this award-winning comedy. Other cast members include Phil Foster, Betty Garrett, David Lander, Michael McKean and Eddie Mekka. Buy the Season 5 DVD right here.

Doctor Who: The Daemons

In the peaceful village of Devil’s End something very strange is happening. A professor is preparing to open a nearby burial mound, and a local white witch foresees death and disaster. Meanwhile, the new vicar looks suspiciously like the Master, and he is using black magic to conjure up an ancient Dæmon. Can the third Doctor (Jon Pertwee), Jo (Katy Manning) and UNIT stop their old enemy before he succeeds? This digitally remastered edition of the Doctor Who classic includes audio commentary with actors Katy Manning, Richard Franklin, Damaris Hayman and director Christopher Barry, as well as many other bonus materials. Buy the DVD right here.

The Darkest Hour

The electrifying science-fiction thriller ‘The Darkest Hour‘ is now available on 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray and DVD. Emile Hirsch (Speed Racer, Into the Wild), Max Minghella (Ides of March, The Social Network) and Olivia Thirlby (‘Bored to Death’) star in this story of five young people who find themselves stranded in Moscow and fight to survive in the wake of a devastating alien attack. With Moscow’s classic beauty as the backdrop, The Darkest Hour features mind-blowing special effects from the minds of visionary filmmakers Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) and Chris Gorak (Fight Club, Minority Report).  The suspense never lets up as the invaders begin their assault on Earth, targeting the planet’s power supply. Once the credits roll, see what happens next in The Darkest Hour: Survivors, an all-new short film following the rebel resistance around the globe!  The fight continues as freedom fighters in Tokyo, Malibu and Afghanistan work together to develop new technology and strike a major blow to the alien invaders. Buy the Blu-ray right here.

Shazzan

When two adventurous, twin teenagers, Chuck and Nancy, recombine the halves of a mysterious ring, they are instantly transported to ancient Egypt…as masters of an all-powerful genie named ‘Shazzan.’ Now, with the help of the mighty Shazzan, the twins seek the wizard who lives “behind the beyond,” the only person able to help them return home. But even as the teenagers pursue their quest, every evil sorcerer in the desert kingdom desires the twins’ magic ring and will stop at nothing to gain the power it grants over Shazzan. Buy the complete series at WBShop.com.

Into the Abyss

Taking as his starting point an exploration of a triple homicide case in Conroe, Texas, master filmmaker Werner Herzog (Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Grizzly Man) probes the human psyche to explore why people kill — and why the state kills in return in ‘Into the Abyss.’ Through intimate conversations with those involved, including 28-year-old Death Row inmate Michael Perry (scheduled to die within eight days of appearing on screen), Herzog achieves what he describes as “a gaze into the abyss of the human soul.” Herzog’s inquiries also extend to the families of the victims and perpetrators as well as a state executioner and pastor who’ve been with Death Row prisoners as they’ve taken their final breaths. Buy the Blu-ray right here.

Doctor Who: Carnival of Monsters Special Edition

Freed from his exile on Earth, the third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) takes Jo (Katy Manning) on a test flight in the TARDIS, landing aboard SS Bernice, a cargo ship that appears to be crossing the Indian Ocean in 1926. As events take a dangerous and unexpected twist, it seems that their fate lies in the hands of a traveling showman named Vorg and his assistant Shirna, who have just arrived on the distant planet of Inter Minor with an amazing intergalactic peepshow called the Miniscope. This digitally remastered special edition of the Doctor Who classic includes two audio commentary tracks as well as an early edit of Episode 2, a making-of featurette, and many other bonus materials. Buy the DVD right here.

Dark Shadows

MPI has released ‘Dark Shadows‘ Fan Favorites and The Best of Barnabas. Each release offers 9 complete episodes that are among the most popular in the history of the show, serving as an ideal introduction to new viewers as well as an enticing overview for devotees of the series. Included in FAN FAVORITES are Barnabas’ return to Collinwood after being release from his chained coffin; Barnabas and Dr. Julia Hoffman (Grayson Hall) discovering the secret of the werewolf; Maggie Evans (Kathryn Leigh Scott) becoming the victim of a vampire, and more. THE BEST OF BARNABAS includes Julia’s attempts to cure the cursed Barnabas; eerie trips back in time to 1795 and 1897; the popular Parallel Time story line, and more. Each set includes informative new introductions by Kathryn Leigh Scott and Lara Parker (Angelique).Buy the Fan Favorites and Best of Barnabas DVD.

Conversation Piece

Luchino Visconti’s award-winning classic ‘Conversation Piece’ examines the solitary life of a retired American professor (Burt Lancaster) who lives alone in a luxurious palazzo in Rome. When he is confronted by a vulgar Italian marchesa and her companions – her lover, her daughter and daughter’s boyfriend – he is forced to rent them an apartment on the upper floor of his palazzo. Before long his quiet routine is turned upside down and the introverted professor becomes entangled in his tenants’ machinations. In the midst of this chaos each of the new neighbors’ lives – including that of the professor himself – takes an unexpected but inevitable turn. Visconti’s penultimate film, ‘Conversation Piece’ marks the culmination of his career as a master of Italian cinema. Buy the Blu-ray right here.

Logan’s Run

Experience a suspense-filled, futuristic run for survival – ’70s style – with the release of ‘Logan’s Run’ The Complete Series. Based on the original novel and popular film, the cult classic science-fiction television series is available as a 3-disc collector’s set that includes all 14 original episodes. In the post-apocalyptic 24th century, the planet has been devastated by nuclear war and surviving communities exist in isolation. Citizens live in total bliss in the City of Domes until their 30th birthday, the date they are lured to an event called Carousel. They believe they might be renewed in a new form but instead they are executed. Not everyone accepts the propaganda and efforts to escape to Sanctuary, located outside of the city, are increasing. Buy the complete series right here.

Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous

Danger takes on a whole new meaning as the X-Men are forced to confront a reality they never thought possible. Continuing the saga of the ‘Astonishing X-Men’ comic book pages come alive when Shout! Factory, in association with Marvel Knights Animation, release the highly anticipated Marvel Knights Animation ‘Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous’ on DVD. The highly popular “Dangerous” storyline and eye-popping visuals from the graphic novel by pop culture icons Joss Whedon and John Cassaday combine smart story telling, incredible action, and startling revelations in the second story arc of the acclaimed ‘Astonishing X-Men’ multi-part series. This DVD invites viewers to delve deep inside the imaginative world of the Marvel Universe. A must have for collectors and loyal fans, this deluxe DVD is featured with a graphic rich cover and a unique replica of comic book-style packaging that bridges the comic book to DVD concept. Buy the DVD right here.

Donald Glover: Weirdo

No matter what side of Donald Glover you’ve come to know — actor, stand-up comedian, writer, or rapper under the moniker Childish Gambino — get ready to become better acquainted with all of them.  Glover’s debut stand-up DVD, ‘Donald Glover: Weirdo’ features his one-hour special that premiered on Comedy Central in 2011, plus 40 minutes of bonus features!  Consider it: the total Donald Glover experience.  While Glover’s been starring as former jock Troy Barnes on NBC’s cult favorite sitcom ‘Community’ any Glover devotee will tell you that he’s been steadily grinding at stand-up comedy and music.  And now, along with the release of Donald Glover: Weirdo’, Glover is kicking off his 24-city “I Am Donald” tour. This hilarious concert special is an inside look at who Donald Glover is … a kid who really just wanted people to like him when he was smaller.  Starting with observations about getting “famous,” the comedian quickly gets into the weirdness of the music, the N-word, relationships, and of course, pooping in Home Depots.  Not to mention a sidesplitting look at why kids are awful people.  Smart, hip, and, of course, full of swag, Donald Glover: Weirdo’ is pure Donald. Buy the DVD right here.

Don Juan De Marco

Hidden

When Brian Karter’s (Sean Clement, ‘Fringe,’ ‘Flashpoint’) mother dies, he is surprised to learn that he has inherited “The Sanctuary”, home to her controversial experimental addiction treatment center. But during a tour of the decrepit building, they soon realize that something sinister lies beneath the surface; something so evil it was better left concealed in…’The Hidden,’ where viewers will learn that some places are better left alone.  Also starring Devon Bostick (Diary of a Wimpy Kid Franchise, Adoration, Saw VI), Jordan Hayes (Exit Humanity, ‘Flashpoint,’ ‘Nikita’), Jason Blicker (The Day After Tomorrow, Half Baked, Superstar), Bjanka Murgel (Punisher: War Zone) and Simonetta Solder (“Amanda Knox: Murder on Trial in Italy”). Buy the DVD right here.

Sleeping Beauty

Jane Campion presents ‘Sleeping Beauty,’ a fascinating depiction of a young woman’s reckless descent into a shocking world of erotic desires. Lucy (Emily Browning of Sucker Punch and The Uninvited in a breakthrough performance) is a beautiful university student possessed by a kind of radical passivity, letting coin tosses decide random sexual encounters and enduring her menial jobs with an uncomplaining patience. After answering an ad in the student newspaper for a lingerie waitress, Lucy is secretly initiated into the job of a Sleeping Beauty. The job entails being sedated and falling asleep in a bed, into which crawl paying customers looking to enact their deepest fantasies with Lucy’s pliant body. Giving herself in absolute submission to her clients becomes an unnerving experience for Lucy and begins to bleed into her daily life. Ultimately she must develop the courage to break free of the virtual spell she’s under and discover what happens to her while she sleeps. First-time director Julia Leigh creates a bold cinematic vision with her shocking retelling of the classic myth that turns its heroine into a sex worker confronting ideas of feminine sexuality with bravado and precision. Buy the DVD right here.

Goodnight for Justice: The Measure of a Man

In the highly anticipated sequel to ‘Goodnight For Justice,’ the highest rated original production on the Hallmark Movie Channel, Luke Perry (‘Beverly Hills, 90210′, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) returns to the lawless frontier to once again star as honorable Circuit Judge John Goodnight in ‘Goodnight For Justice: The Measure of a Man’ (which had its TV premiere in January 2012).  Bonus features include on location featurettes and interviews with the cast & crew. A once fun-loving lawyer, the now-respectable Goodnight has become a stickler for the lawbooks with an aversion to arrogant attorneys.  Hellbent on dispensing his brand of justice, Goodnight travels to a Wyoming territory being terrorized by a gang of thieves, led by the masked outlaw, Deke Spradling.  As he sets out to find and prosecute the murderous bandits before they strike again, he runs into old flame Callie Bluepoint (Pfetten, 40 Days and 40 Nights, Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief) and a series of long-kept secrets are revealed about the gang’s identities, making the case all too personal to the judge and testing the very limits of loyalty. Buy the DVD right here.