Fans of “Community” rejoice. Following a lengthy hiatus from the schedule, the sitcom returns (Thursday, March 15, 8/7c) to prime time with one of its funniest episodes yet: the remarriage of Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown) and her ex-husband, as planned by Britta (Gillian Jacobs) and Jeff (Joel McHale). To celebrate the occasion, we asked the residents of Greendale, aka the cast, to tell us their favorite TV shows. It should come as no surprise that they are fans of great comedy. They also have a fondness for shows that are no longer on the air, but like “Community,” you can stream them on XfinityTV.com. Here are their picks:
1.“EASTBOUND & DOWN “- Danny Pudi (Abed): I just think it pushes the envelope so hard. But also the willingness of people to take his [Kenny Powers, played by Danny McBride] stubbornness – that’s really cool. For me it’s a nice exploration of how different cultures interact. HBO Subscribers: Watch Full Episodes of “Eastbound & Down.”
2. “SMASH” – Yvette Nicole Brown (Shirley): I love “Smash.” I’m a musical theater geek and my friend Leslie Odom is on it playing Sam. He started in the fourth episode. The show is so much fun. Watch Full Episodes of “Smash.”
3. “IT’S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA” – Jim Rash (Dean Pelton): Those three guys [Rob McElhenney, Charlie Day, and Glenn Howerton], this is early on when they were shooting, I remember seeing them in the Beverly area. It was literally the first time I had chased someone down to say, “I love your show.” I also did it with Tom Colicchio. I think he was scared.
4. “HILLBILLY HANDFISHIN’“ – Joel McHale (Jeff): I am going to go with “Hillbilly Handfishin’” because there has never been a show that takes hillbillies, puts them in rivers and has people reach into holes and pull catfish out of the holes. And “Love Boat: The Next Wave.”
5. “CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL“ – Alison Brie (Annie): I love “Children’s Hospital” because they are so irreverent and just funny. It is so my type of humor. I laugh constantly when I watch that. I just feel like there is such an air of: “We don’t give a f–k. We are just going to do a bunch of weird, funny stuff.” I love that show.
6. “RUPAUL’S DRAG RACE“ – Gillian Jacobs (Britta): “RuPaul’s Drag Race” would be my current favorite TV show on the air. [As for why], Uh, have you seen it?!?! Watch Full Episodes of “RuPaul’s Drag Race.”
8. “30 ROCK” – Alison Brie (Annie): It’s still one of my favorite shows. It is joke after joke after joke. It is so funny and it is meta in so many ways. I feel you can draw some comparisons between “Community” and “30 Rock” in some ways, not tons of ways. I love all the NBC shows. [I'm a] Company loyalist. Watch Full Episodes of “30 Rock.”
9. “LOST” – Jim Rash (Dean Pelton): Even though you could DVR “Lost,” I had to watch it that night because I didn’t want anyone spoiling anything. I didn’t want to read anything. I loved “Lost” from beginning to end…. I miss it so bad. Watch Every Season of “Lost.”
10. “BORED TO DEATH“ – Alison Brie (Annie): I am so sad it is gone. All those guys are so charming, so charming. I just was constantly charmed by the show and, really, two words: Ted Danson. He is amazing. He is incredible. I loved that show so much. Watch Full Episodes of “Bored to Death.”
11. “SEINFELD” and “FRIENDS” – Yvette Nicole Brown (Shirley): I want to go with “Friends” (Watch Full Episodes of “Friends”) and “Seinfeld” together because they showed friendships in a new way that, I think, television hadn’t seen and they expanded the multi-camera genre. I think they are the precursors to the single camera in the sense that they had a different look. They were multi-camera but they looked more single camera in the way they used film, so they led us into the next level. Watch Full Episodes of “Seinfeld.”
12. “THE COMEBACK“ – Gillian Jacobs (Britta): “The Comeback” is my favorite TV shows of all-time. It is just brill. It is Lisa Kudrow’s show about what it is like to be an actor on a TV show, and I know that sounds like inside baseball, but she is so amazing on it. It features an unknown Kellan Lutz as one of the actors on the show, so if any “Twilight” fans are reading this, check it out.
Watch The Epic Trailer for “Community’s” Return: