Last night on “The Daily Show,” Wyatt Cenac interviewed a PETA representative about a lawsuit the organization filed against Sea World for “enslaving” the killer whales they use in their shows. As you’d expect from a “TDS” field piece, Cenac skewered the lawsuit by not only talking to opponents and carefully editing jokes made while interviewing the main subject, but they followed their recent “gotcha” trend and hoisted the subject on her own petard.
Cenac found a picture of spokesman Lisa Lange with her dog on the web and said that she should be sued for enslaving her pet. As she tried to defend the difference between domesticated animals and killer whales, he also says PETA will be served because they use animals on their calendars. She couldn’t argue with that. Luckily, the whale lawsuit was dismissed, so we won’t have to test those boundaries. “TDS” needs to keep doing this kind of “gotcha” fake journalism, because a) it’s funny and b) no one’s doing it in the world of real journalism anymore.
Watch the clip above. While you’re here, click the links below to see what else happened yesterday:
– Jon Stewart inadvertently makes a joke about interns cradling Dave Letterman‘s crotch, forgetting Dave’s had some “issues” there [Late Show]
– Jimmy Fallon plays “Total Iceholes” with Greg Kinnear [Late Night]
– Lots of drunken truth-telling was committed by Phil and Claire Dunphy (Ty Burrell, Julie Bowen) [Modern Family]
– Michaele Salahi talks about how her soon-to-be-ex-husband Tareq treated her [Today]
– Did Whitney Houston sense the end was near? [E! News]