Before yesterday’s AFC Championship game in New England, “American Idol” judge Steven Tyler sung the national anthem, and it was… interesting. A couple of missed words and some of Tyler’s patented screaming made for an anthem that was either unique or hard to listen to. The crowd seemed to react to the anthem with hoots and hollers, but they may have just been excited to see the game start.
Tyler’s anthem wasn’t nearly as disastrous as, say, Christina Aguilera‘s botch job at last year’s Super Bowl, but if you’re asked to sing the song in front of some unruly fans, you really have to do a good job, even if you’re a hometown hero like Tyler is. For instance, Kristin Chenoweth sang the anthem in the rain before last night’s NFC Championship game in San Francisco, and nailed it.
Both football games yesterday were thrillers, with the Ravens missing a field goal try at the last second to dash their Super Bowl hopes, and the Giants beating the 49ers in overtime, 20-17, to set up a Giants-Patriots Super Bowl rematch.
Other items from the weekend that you should watch:
– Chris Christie calls Newt Gingrich‘s South Carolina win “disappointing,” talks up Mitt Romney [Meet The Press]
– Seal takes to Twitter after split with Heidi Klum [Today]
– Tracy Morgan is hospitalized [E! News]
– Joan Rivers pitches “Wife Swap” with Newt Gingrich [Late Night With Jimmy Fallon]
– Where is Casey Anthony living these days? [Today]
– Joe Paterno dies at 85 [NBC Nightly News]
– Kristin Cavallari is pregnant [E! News]