Frank Darabont Speaks Out About Getting Axed From ‘The Walking Dead’

by | January 18, 2012 at 3:40 PM | The Walking Dead

Frank Darabont (Getty Images)

Frank Darabont (Getty Images)

In all the six months since Frank Darabont got let go from “The Walking Dead,” he hasn’t really said much about why he was asked to leave or how he felt about the move. But, now that he’s in production on a new show, “L.A. Noir,” he’s in a more talkative mood, telling TV Guide that leaving the show was a painful experience, considering he felt like the cast and crew were like family to him.

Ever the noir fan, Darabont related the experience to one of the more famous noir films of all time, “Sunset Boulevard.” “Let me put it that way: It was like a death in the family. Only I was the dead guy. I felt like William Holden, face down in the swimming pool, narrating this thing.”

Darabont alluded to why he got let go, telling TV Guide that “I was really given no choice. I don’t understand the thinking behind, ‘Oh, this is the most successful show in the history of basic cable. Let’s gut the budgets now.’” He didn’t want to get into any more details than that, but budgetary issues have been cited as one of the reasons why there was a dispute between Darabont and AMC, who owns their biggest hit.

As new showrunner Glen Mazzara and “TWD” creator Robert Kirkman told us last week, they are ready to push forward with a set of episodes that will have more of Mazzara’s stamp than Darabont’s, and they say the second half of the second season will hurtle towards a climactic season finale.

Most of the TV Guide interview is about “L.A. Noir,” which starts shooting in April and will air on TNT. To get you in a noir-ish mood, watch this trailer for “Sunset Boulevard”:

More Celebrity News:
‘E News Now’ ‘CelebTV’ ‘Access Hollywood’ ‘Hollywood 411′