Who’s on top in this week’s Top Five?
1) We don’t think anyone will argue with our pick: Jimmy Kimmel, who put on a very special show Tuesday when he returned from vacation — an entire show devoted to remembering his beloved Uncle Frank, a show regular who passed away while “Jimmy Kimmel Live” was on a two-week August vacation.
2) We loved the series finale this past Wednesday of Denis Leary’s funny, tragic and often crass series about New York firefighters, “Rescue Me”. The final episode on FX was one of the best-written episodes of a TV show we’d seen in many a month, if not many a year.
3) From the “You’ve Got to Be Kidding Dept.”: We bring you this past week’s widely talked-about scene from TLC’s “Toddlers & Tiaras,” featuring a tyke pageant contestant costumed as Julia Roberts in “Pretty Woman.” Of course, the fact that the character Roberts played so famously happened to be a call girl raised the hackles of many who saw the show.
4) The show goes on: And on. We happen to really enjoy “America’s Got Talent,” but we’re also aware that it’s the most stretched-out talent competition show of the summer. However, we are headed to the end, now that there are four contestants left, including the incomparable crooner Eugene Landau Murphy, who we’re rooting for to take the whole thing.
5) The “Antiques Roadshow” twins on Fox: We readily admit we scratched our heads over this earlier this summer when we first heard that the Keno twins, Leigh and Leslie — the affable antique furniture connoisseurs who became famous on the PBS appraisal show — would be bringing their act to Fox in a show called “Buried Treasure.” But we caught this week’s episode and found it well worth the hour we spent watching it. Nice job, Kenos!