Despite the controversy surrounding his turn as “Golden Globes” host earlier this year, Ricky Gervais says he’s been asked to present the annual awards show for a third time.
“NBC have offered it — they think they can persuade the Hollywood Foreign Press Association,” he said at the MediaGuardian Edinburgh International TV Festival on Friday, per The Hollywood Reporter.
“But I don’t think they will go for it. I love NBC and I love the fact that they have stuck with me through it all,” he added.
When questioned by interviewer Richard Bacon whether he’s considering the opportunity, the British comedian-actor responded, “I am but I shouldn’t do it. It’s a second encore. Don’t do a second encore. I don’t think I should do it. What am I going back as?”
Watch Gervais On A Recent Episode Of “Curb Your Enthusiasm”:
After the January Golden Globes ceremony, Gervais came under fire for insulting the likes of Charlie Sheen (“It’s going to be a night of partying and heavy drinking. Or as Charlie Sheen calls it – breakfast”), Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie, and Robert Downey Jr., among others.
“Just because you are offended doesn’t mean you are right,” Gervais said of subsequent critiques. “People fall into this myth that I’m a shock comedian. I’ve never been that. People say I crossed the line but I didn’t draw the f–king line, you did.”
According to The Guardian, Gervais also confessed that he’s been asked to host the Oscars and his own stateside talk show – neither of which he’s interested in pursuing. “I couldn’t do the Oscars. It’s a thankless task for a comedian. They don’t want to hear jokes, they want to hear if they have won the most important award of their career,” he said. As for participating in a talk show, he declared: “I have been offered it a few times. I got into this business so I didn’t have to put a suit on and sit behind a desk five times a week. It would be strange to do it.”
Next up for Gervais is the comedy “Life’s Too Short,” a BBC and HBO co-production slated to air in the U.S. in 2012.