In the world of high fashion where image and perception are everything, Miss Tyra Banks gives 14 young gazelles a breakneck reality check. Welcome, to the CW’s Sweet 16 Cycle of “America’s Next Top Model” (8/7c)! Like, Oh. My. Gah. Can we tweet, text, and post this on FB already?!
On tonight’s season premiere, a new svelte Tyra gets down to business, making cuts backstage and eliminating casting week. And just for kicks, the 14 finalists get the most unforgettable heart palpitations of their lives when Tyra and the Jays trick them…but we’ll let you find out the details for yourself!
What’s up for grabs this cycle? The usual coveted prizes: a contract with IMG Models, a fashion spread in Vogue Italia, a spread and cover in Beauty in Vogue, and a $100K contract with Cover Girl Cosmetics.
Aside from the usual panel of judges—Tyra, the Jays, photographer Nigel Barker, and fashion editor André Leon Talley—expect to hear a thing or two from stylist guru Rachel Zoe, Italian photographer Francesco Carrozzini, Sudanese model Alek Wek, and fashion model Sonia Dara, to name a few.
Preview Tonight’s Premiere:
But let’s not get ahead of ourselves, peeps. To kick things off, check out some of the highlights you’ll be seeing in tonight’s premiere:
- Supermodel work. The guest judge is none other than supermodel Erin Wasson. Check out her deep scratchy chords and scowl—who knew such a pretty face could be such a badass?
- A-Wang is in the house! The girls get to model designs by Alexander Wang. Whaazzzup!
- Another ludicrous runway event. The victims must walk down a 12-inch wide plank enclosed in a pool of water—while in a giant plastic bubble! Watching the girls attempt this feat gives all new meaning to the Hamster Dance.
- We’ve got a “fiercely real” one here! A plus-size model with “Eastern European” features brings her “voluptuosity” into the competition.
- Walk like a man. No big surprise, Tyra picks out one of the contestants for what she says is her unique “androgynous” look. From what we’ve seen, we just think she’s a dude in girl’s clothing.
“ANTM” Cycle 16 airs tonight on the CW at 8/7c.