UPDATE: CBS correspondent Lara Logan was released from the hospital Wednesday and is “in remarkably good spirits despite her ordeal,” according to Howard Kurtz of The Daily Beast. Logan, 39, is said to be recuperating at her Washington, D.C.-area home.
The veteran reporter suffered a “brutal” and “sexual” assault last Friday in Egypt that lasted for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, a source told The Wall Street Journal, who added that it was “not a rape.”
Shocking details have been released regarding a dangerous incident involving CBS News Chief Foreign Correspondent Lara Logan as she covered the protests in Egypt last week.
Logan is currently hospitalized in the U.S. and is recovering from being “brutally” and “sexually” attacked in Egypt on Friday, Feb. 11, the day Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak stepped down, CBS News said in a statement Tuesday.
“On Friday February 11, the day Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak stepped down, CBS Correspondent Lara Logan was covering the jubilation in Tahrir Square for a “60 Minutes” story when she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into a frenzy.
“In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers. She reconnected with the CBS team, returned to her hotel and returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning. She is currently in the hospital recovering.”
Days earlier on Feb. 3, Logan and her crew were detained by Egyptian police outside the Israeli embassy, as violence escalated in the streets of Cairo during the uprising.
“There will be no further comment from CBS News and Correspondent Logan and her family respectfully request privacy at this time,” the report concluded.