Military Demands TV Station Drop Prince Harry Kidnap Drama

by | October 18, 2010 at 9:11 AM | TV News

Prince Harry in Helmand province Southern Afghanistan in 2008 (AFP/Pool/File/John Stillwell)

Prince Harry in Helmand province Southern Afghanistan in 2008 (AFP/Pool/File/John Stillwell)


LONDON – Britain’s Press Association says the head of Britain’s military is demanding that Channel 4 withdraw a drama that looks at the crisis that would have ensued if Prince Harry had been kidnapped in Afghanistan.

The 90-minute film called ‘The Taking Of Prince Harry,’ explores the political ramifications of a high-profile abduction. Harry served in Afghanistan for 10 weeks until word of his stint leaked to the press in early 2008.

PA reported that Air Chief Marshal Jock Stirrup said the program set for broadcast Thursday could undermine the security of troops in Afghanistan.

The Ministry of Defense acknowledged Monday that Stirrup wrote a letter, but declined to reveal its contents.

Channel 4 says the program is a serious journalistic examination of a current issue.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.