Chris Meloni Sets Record Straight on ‘SVU’ Exit

by | April 7, 2010 at 6:17 PM | TV News

Christopher Meloni (NBC)

Christopher Meloni (NBC)

Christopher Meloni dismisses talk that he plans to quit ‘Law & Order: Special Victims Unit‘ after next season, the NBC series’ 12th, as “lies, all lies.”

Meloni had been quoted by an Australian newspaper as saying, “12 years is enough, a good number,” prompting speculation that next season would be his last.

But Meloni has clarified to UsMagazine.com that what he told the Courier-Mail was that when an actor’s contract expires – as his does come spring 2011 – “it’s usually the end.”

S. Epatha Merkerson Announces ‘Law & Order’ Exit

With regards to his personal situation, he said that if the producers want him back at the negotiating table, “we can always talk.”

‘L&O: Criminal Intent’s Big Changes: The Inside Story

Of course, NBC must actually renew ‘SVU’ for another cycle – something it has yet to do, busy as the Peacock is ordering new seasons of such reality fare as ‘The Marriage Ref’ and ‘Minute to Win It.’

“Our show hasn’t been picked up,” he notes. “Those are the facts of the matter.”