New ‘Star Search’ Fails to Grab Paula Abdul

by | March 18, 2010 at 4:56 PM | American Idol, Matt's TV News, Reality, RealityTV, TV News

(Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

(Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

ABC’s ‘Star Search’ may go on – but if it does, it will be without Paula Abdul.

A source tells Fancast that ABC’s reboot of the retro talent competition “is not moving forward with Paula Abdul at this time.”

“But that doesn’t necessarily mean ‘Star Search’ still won’t happen,” adds the insider.

Paula Abdul to Start Up a New ‘Star Search’?

Abdul – who famously turned down a $5 million payday to continue on with ‘American Idol’ this season – is said to have rejected a similarly sizable sum to be a part of ABC’s ‘Star Search,’ says The Daily Beast.

She also reportedly nixed an offer to go ‘Dancing With the Stars’ this spring.

As such, the speculation is that Abdul is electing to honor her friendship with Simon Cowell by keeping her options open as the Brit staffs up his U.S. adaptation of The X Factor.

Is A Cowell-Abdul Reunion In Store For American ‘X Factor’?

News of Abdul’s possible ‘Star Search’ gig broke last week, though Paula herself was quick to advise fans via Twitter, “Until you hear it from me, you can’t believe what you read.”