ABC Returns to Cablevision 10 Minutes into Oscars Broadcast

by | March 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM | TV News

100306154841WABC_TV
Cablevision subscribers in the New York area may have missed out on the Academy Awards’ opening number featuring (of course) Neil Patrick Harris but were denied little else as WABC-7 restored its signal 10 minutes into the show’s broadcast.

“[We] have reached an agreement in principle that recognizes the fair value of ABC7, with deal points that we expect to finalize with Cablevision,” said Rebecca Campbell, president and general manager of WABC. “Given this movement, we’re pleased to announce that ABC7 will return to Cablevision households while we work to complete our negotiations.”

As reported on Sunday morning – just hours after WABC-7 pulled its signal – ABC’s parent company had been asking for an increase in retransmission access fees of about one dollar per Cablevision subscriber, for a total of $40 million. Terms of the tentative deal arrived at Sunday evening were not disclosed, but the Los Angeles Times reports that Cablevision increased its original offer (about a quarter) to 55 to 65 cents per subscriber.

“We are happy to report that WABC Channel 7 has returned to Cablevision’s 3 million New York area homes,” said Charles Schueler, Cablevision’s executive VP of communications. “We are very grateful to our customers for their support and pleased to welcome ABC back.”