Will ‘Deadliest Catch’ Live On?

by | February 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM | TV News

The Harris Men of 'Deadliest Catch' (Discovery)

The Harris Men of 'Deadliest Catch' (Discovery)


As family, friends and fans still mourn the loss of favorite TV fisherman Captain Phil Harris, one has to wonder what does it mean for the future of the show that made him famous, ‘Deadliest Catch‘?

Rest assured, fans, the Discovery Channel still plans to keep this ‘Catch’ on the air.

Although Harris died February 9th from complications after a stroke, viewers will still get to see their beloved rough-talking captain on Season 6 of the extreme fishing show.

Executive producer, Thom Beers, told People Magazine that even after Harris’ sudden departure, his presence is everywhere on his ship, the Cornelia Marie. “Phil will be pretty well represented,” said Beers. “You’ll see the loss through the eyes of the other captains, who knew he was a man of substance.”

The 53-year-old suffered a stroke on January 29th while filming the second half of the season. A Discovery crew was there at his hospital bedside – like they were in Season 4 when he suffered injuries from a storm – till the very end. But the family, including his two sons who also appear on the show, is unsure how much of that footage will actually air.

When the straight-shooting captain became ill last month, family friend Derek Ray took over as the crab ship’s skipper, according to the magazine. But will that be enough to keep the show afloat?

Chief engineer of Morning Star fishing vessel, Lionel Silva, who knew Harris, told a local Alaskan paper, “I understand he was on a show and stuff, but they’re all going to go away. When everybody forgets about ‘Deadliest Catch,’ we’re still going to be remembering Phil and everything about him.”