UPDATE: Jon Gosselin failed to appear in a Maryland court Thursday for a hearing on his breach-of-contract lawsuit against his former network bosses at TLC.
The proceedings continued in Gosselin’s absence, where TLC exec Edward Sabin called Gosselin an “embarrassment” and said “the network has been damaged by Jon’s actions,” according to RadarOnline.
ROCKVILLE, Md. (AP) – TLC and Jon Gosselin, the star of the network’s hit reality show ‘Jon and Kate Plus 8,’ are taking their legal fight to a Maryland courtroom.
Gosselin is expected to appear today when a judge hears arguments in the case.
Jon Gosselin, the star of TLC’s hit reality show “Jon and Kate Plus 8,” has not shown up to a hearing in his legal fight with the network.
Gosselin’s attorney, Mark Heller, had previously said the celebrity dad would attend Thursday’s hearing in Maryland, but the hearing has started without him.
The network wants the judge to stop Gosselin from making media appearances that it says violate his exclusive contract. TLC, which is owned by Silver Spring, Md.-based Discovery Communications, says the contract remains in force.
Gosselin claims in a counterlawsuit that TLC violated Pennsylvania’s child labor laws in filming his eight children.
His attorney, Mark Heller, says there is no reason for the network to stop him from earning a living as a media personality, especially now that the show has ended amid the Gosselins’ pending divorce.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.