Oscars: Party Canceled

by | February 6, 2008 at 1:40 PM | General

020608-vanity.jpg

The Oscars are coming but the biggest award show party has been the latest victim of the writer’s strikes. Vanity Fair has announced that they have canceled the famed Vanity Fair Oscar Party, a soirée that us Fancaster Editors were super eager to attend (yes, attending parties is part of our job description. It’s a dirty job, somebody’s gotta do it).

“After much consideration, and in support of the writers and everyone else affected by this strike, we have decided that this is not the appropriate year to hold our annual Oscar party,” the New York-based magazine said in a statement.

“We want to congratulate all of this year’s nominees and we look forward to hosting our 15th Oscar party next year.”

A VF spokeswoman wouldn’t say how much money the mag is losing by scrapping the party so close to showtime, but she said that much of the materials that have been ordered can be used next year.

“Inasmuch as Vanity Fair is a collection of writers, photographers and artists, we do feel ourselves in aligned solidarity with the writers, directors and actors in the film business,” editor-in-chief Graydon Carter said in a statement.

The black-tie crowd at last year’s VF bash at Morton’s steakhouse in West Hollywood included Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, Sean Penn, Martin Scorsese and the rest of The Departed crew, Oprah Winfrey, Kate Winslet, Nicole Kidman, Forest Whitaker, Helen Mirren, Ellen DeGeneres, Al Gore, John Travolta and Kelly Preston, Jerry Seinfeld, Jessica Biel, überproducer Brian Grazer, Kirsten Dunst, Clive Owen, Penélope Cruz, Gwyneth Paltrow, Peter O’Toole…etc. [E!]