If you’re like me there are things you dread doing: Right up there with trying on bathing suits is going to the Department of Motor Vehicles for your driver’s license renewal and the “photo shoot.” That photo will be staring back at us for at least 4 years. You’ll see it more often than your wedding pictures since everyone wants a look at it from airport security to buying with your credit card. It is one of the few things you must do in person. No online shortcut for this essential task.
This year I planned my “photoshoot” and wanted to share my tips.
1. Plan ahead and go right after you visit the salon or barber, when your hair looks good.
2. There’s an item in your wardrobe that gets compliments. Wear that.
3. You’ll be standing in line, so bring along something you never have time to do like read a book. You can check your email but a book might help you relax while you wait.
4. Better yet, talk to the stranger in line next to you. It’s a great people-watching opportunity and one of the rare chances to rub shoulders with people you’d never see again.
5. Just like they told you for your school photo, sit up straight, wet your lips and lean forward just a bit.
6. Open your eyes a little wider. You can try this at home in the mirror. It might make you look younger. Or scary so don’t open them too wide.
7. Right after they snap the photo, ask if you can see it. If you don’t like it, and you ask nicely they’ll probably let you take another one. They did for me.
8. Smile with your eyes and your lips like you mean it.
The opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast.