Luke Bracey in Point Break: 5 Things to Know About the New Johnny Utah!
Rebecca Macatee, eonline
Wed Feb 26, 3:14 AM UTC
It's not easy to star in cult classic reboot, but it looks Luke Bracey is up for the challenge!
The 24-year-old Australian actor has been cast in a reboot of the 1991 film Point Break. Luke, per Variety , will be reprising Keanu Reeves ' role as Johnny Utah, the rookie FBI agent who goes undercover to try and infiltrate the surfing community.
Luke, who recently appeared in G.I. Joe: Retaliation, will star opposite Gerard Butler in the flick, and Ericson Core is signed on to direct. But just who is this sandy-haired hunk diving head-first into Point Break? Here are five things to know about Luke Bracey!
1. He's Practically One of the Hemsworth Brothers: Fine, that one's a stretch, but Luke is an Aussie just like Liam and Chris Hemworth, and he also got his start on the beloved homeland soap Home and Away. It's unclear how well Luke actually knows the genetically blessed siblings, but he showed some support for Liam at the 2012 premiere of The Hunger Games.
2. He Became an Actor Almost by Chance: Luke wasn't a drama kid growing up. In fact, he told Australia's SBS Film back in 2011, he "completely fell into acting." He'd left school and was "playing rugby union in Sydney and looking to go somewhere in that," he explained, "and seven months later I got asked by that casting director to auction for Home and Away and I got the job." And from there, things began to snowball.
3. He's Got a Teen Rom-Com Under His Belt: It's hard to top Keanu's role in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, but Luke has been in a Selena Gomez movie! He played Leighton Meester's love interest in the 2011 flick Monte Carlo, starring opposite Selena, Leighton, Katie Cassidy and Cory Monteith.
4. He Was in the Running to Play Christian Grey: Oh my! After Charlie Hunnam pulled out of Fifty Shades of Grey, Luke was one of the many hunky men rumored to have screen tested for the role . As we all know, the part went to Jamie Dornan, but at least we know Luke's got no issue with shirtless scenes!
5. He Might Be the Next Ryan Gosling: LOL, kidding—there will never be another Gos (or The Notebook, for that matter). But Luke will play the male lead in The Best of Me, a film based on Nicholas Sparks' book. The forty-something version of Luke's character will be played by James Marsden (way to age well!) in what is sure to be a bittersweet and lovelorn romance for the ages. Get those tissues ready.
© 2014 E! Entertainment Television, Inc. All rights reserved., http://www.eonline.com/about/copyright/index.jsp
Get Showtimes & Tickets
Watch trailers for this year's most anticipated movies and get the scoop on what's coming to theaters.